Monday, March 14, 2011

Sure, such, much.

"Liam sure has a big potty."

"Haven's such a funny troublemaker!"

"I just love you so much, Mama."


An expanding vocabulary is a fun thing to witness, especially for a word nerd like me. True, we're not talking about big, multisyllabic vocabulary, but "sure", "such" and "much" are words new to Sonja and she is using them with every possible opportunity. And it's how she uses these words that makes me smile; stressing them, highlighting them in the sentence, making certain that you've heard her use them.


I've never thought very hard about how often I use "sure", "such" and "much", but since Sonja's adopted them I've noticed I use them quite often. We all do; these are words that can be used in a wide range of ways with a variety of meanings. "Sure" is an adjective, an adverb. "Such" is an adjective, an adverb, a pronoun. "Much" is an adjective, a noun, an adverb. Very versatile and not entirely easy to define and yet this three-year old is tossing them around like they're no big thing. She's still grasping when to properly use "me", "mine", "I" and "I'm", but she's got "sure", "such" and "much" in the bag.


From the mouth of a child, language is powerful, beautiful, expressive and joyous. It's the unlocking of thoughts and emotions that have been collected and catalogued, waiting for the chance to be shared, asked, stated and announced. Language is the method by which a child can make us laugh, then think, then weep, all with one innocently spoken thought. 

Believe me, writers spend hours attempting to achieve that level of nuance.




1 comment:

  1. Love this series of photos of Peter and Sonja. Especially Peter's expressions and the mostly hidden look on Sonja's face when she looks down to be sure Peter has her steady before she turns to take in the view. Well done.

    ReplyDelete