Friday, March 11, 2011

Cough, cough, cough.

Up in the night with a coughing baby and a wakeful girl. Can't get back to sleep because every sound, every cough, every pin-drop throws my eyelids open. I can sleep through sirens, storms, you name it, but the slightest peep from either of the girls' rooms has me wide awake.



Sonja's still getting used to sleeping without her soother, but Haven has a pretty nasty cough. With a cough like that, I'd be miserable. Everyone should take a lesson from kids in this respect; they power through while we whine over a sniffle. I once met a little eighteen-month old girl in the Emergency room who was diagnosed with walking pneumonia, but was still playing with the toys in the waiting room as hard as she possibly could. Kids are so tough.



I need to remember that even though Haven is smiling and playing and laughing and being her usual sweet self, she has an awful cold and she's just not up for a lot of stuff right now. She's a kid and she'll keep on going, so it's up to me to slow things down for her so she can get better. I sometimes lose sight of this because I often feel obligated to get out of the house for Sonja's sake; staying at home can be slow and boring and everyone gets cabin fever. 




A couple of at-home days won't hurt anyone. Repeat as mantra... At this point, I'd do just about anything as long as I didn't have to hear that cough. These back-to-back colds are rough and more than a little unfair for someone so small.



Note to cough: we're all tired and need our sleep, so take a hike. We don't like your kind around here.




No comments:

Post a Comment