Friday, January 28, 2011

Pep talks.

I've been a wee bit distracted lately and I'll tell you why. Some of you may already know why, so this is for the rest of you fine folks. And I'll be upfront: this is shameless self-promotion and the one and only time I will use Once Little for this purpose. Cool?


My lovely boss approached me on January 1st (not even a month ago, holy moly) with an idea to start a website/community called runningmoms.ca. I was intrigued, so I played along. Now all of sudden I actually have a website and a Facebook page dedicated to this idea and I'm spending all my free time (free time??) furiously brainstorming and writing content to post when the website officially launches sometime in February. Not only that, but I have two amazing people helping me with everything: logo design, concepts, marketing and even promotional photographs. 




And throughout it all, I'm still writing everyday for Once Little (my sanity, my saviour), looking after Sonja and Haven (my emotional and moral conscience, my little loves), and trying to find time to actually run (my invaluable outlet). Now I just need Peter to get home (my rock, my epicentre), which will happen in three days (and yes, I'm counting the hours).


This is an amazing time for me, because I'm effectively bringing together four of the things I love in my life: my kids, writing, running and encouraging and inspiring other people to run. But as much as I am so excited, I am understandably nervous, since if you'll remember, I like to talk myself out of things and I'm pretty darn good at it. Needless to say, I've been giving myself some 1970's-era-sports-movie style, half-time locker-room pep talks lately and so far they are doing the trick. The team is pumped, convinced of their imminent victory, and is exploding back onto the field to take what is rightfully theirs. Rah, rah!


One of my biggest motivations, beyond bringing together a fantastic community of Moms, is the example I am setting for my girls. Not only will they see their Mom leading an active lifestyle and encouraging others to do the same, they will see their Mom following through and building something from the ground up. They'll see their Mom stop talking and start doing.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so fantastic! You are the perfect person to get something like this going. Your motivation to raise two amazing girls, to run, to educate, to laugh, to care for others.......and of course write! All of these things will contribute to a wonderful group of like-minded running mothers! I look forward to seeing how it progresses over the months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Catrin! You and me both. ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete