Sunday, January 23, 2011

So unlike me.

Hmm. I can't believe it happened, but it happened: I didn't get bogged down by the bullshit. 

My mind seeks out the bullshit. It just loves to wallow. I've known this about myself for a long time and I accept it, but today my mind surprised me.

Sonja and Haven started to come down with a cold overnight while we were staying with Jeff and Joyanna (Peter's parents) at their beautiful place in Mill Bay. I was originally planning to stay until late-afternoon, but we made a quick exit mid-morning instead to try to get home in time for naps.

As I usually do when we leave somewhere, I asked Sonja if she had fun during our stay. We then went over all the fun things we did while we were visiting: playing in the sandbox, playing in the sandbox at night with a flashlight, swinging on the swings, blowing up balloons and drawing faces on them, eating apple pie, playing the recorder, watching movies, playing with the dogs. Sonja agreed that it had been a good time.


Around halfway home, I suddenly realized that I'd remembered our stay exactly how I'd recounted it to Sonja; I thought of all the good stuff and only the good stuff. It made me chuckle, because this is so unlike me. Although I consider myself an optimist, I do have a knack for letting the little things get to me, and even though I make a point to remind Sonja of all the fun we had, inside I'm usually brooding over the crappy things that happened.

We did have a great time, but there were a few moments that I normally would have got all worked up about. Maybe it's the fact that I got out for a really good run yesterday, or maybe it's because it's so very nice to have two wonderful people giving me a hand looking after the girls, but all those little crappy things just didn't manage to burrow under the surface. They were just things that happened.


Well... barely getting any sleep last night due to Sonja and Haven getting sick definitely bugged me, but I didn't even let that get the best of me, I just upped my tea intake this morning (if that's even possible). It wasn't until we were driving that all the other little things weaselled their way back into my mind. Things like stepping in dog shit, Haven knocking over an entire cup of tea, Jett rolling in what we think was deer poo and having to tie him up and hose him down, Sonja antagonizing Jeff and Joyanna's puppy Otis until he'd had enough and snapped her... and a few other things, but I honestly can't remember them at the moment.  

Hmm indeed; who am I??



No comments:

Post a Comment