Monday, February 21, 2011

Thank you.

Three years ago today, at 2.23am, Peter and I welcomed our daughter Sonja Dagny. She was and still is a beautiful girl, full of love and humour and determination. She has shaped and re-shaped the course of our lives these last three years and I'm forever amazed at the power such a small being so carelessly wields. We've never held it against her; we are more than happy to play along. Well, mostly.

Thank you, Sonja.




Thank you for reminding me over and over again that things are no longer just about me. I know: I need constant reminding of this and you never fail to oblige. 





Thank you for showing me that I will survive the most frustration I have ever experienced in my life. Apparently my head will not explode, as I've been so often convinced it would.





Thank you for re-introducing me to the wonder of it all. You have been a most gracious guide.







Thank you for your little sayings: "Mommy, I love you most of the time" is my current favourite.







Thank you for the cuddles, the snuggles, the kisses, the nose-nuzzles, the tickles and the zurbitts. 






Thank you for your forgiveness when I lose my temper and have to apologize and explain why I'm apologizing. Your hug is the most genuine hug of forgiveness I have ever known.






Thank you for your laughter, your giggles, your nose-snorts, your guffaws. Completely contagious.






Thank you for all the times I held you while you slept. I knew at the time that I was perpetuating bad sleeping habits, but I just couldn't stop snuggling you. I don't regret it.






Thank you for your wispy hair. Your little ringlets are incredible.






Thank you for making me slow down and explain things. I don't always want to, I don't always feel like I have the time, but I'm always happy when I do.






Thank you for being my friend. You often say, "I love you, Mommy. You're my best friend." I never feel like I'm lying when I say, "You're my best friend too."





 Thank you for being our Sweet Baby Girl. I never knew how much I wanted this life until you were in it.



2 comments: