Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Not at home.

You snuggle in and try to just forget that this isn't your bed, this isn't your room. The window is on the wrong wall and the closet's in the wrong place. The heat comes on and it takes you a minute to realize what the hell that sound is. Never mind, shake it off, go to sleep already. Drifting... What the hell was that? Weird house noises, where are you coming from anyway? Damn. Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep. Toes are cold. Get another blanket and snuggle in again. ...OK, what the hell is that noise??

The joys of being away from home. The room is awesome, by the way; Kate did an amazing job of making sure both Haven and I are comfortable during our stay. So it has nothing to do with the accommodations and everything to do with the fact that I seldom sleep away from home. I've stayed a couple nights at Peter's folks' place and ran into similar issues.

Haven had an equally uneasy time getting to sleep last night, but she is an adaptable sort and by nap time today she had things pretty well worked out. My fingers are crossed that tonight goes well.

For me, the most entertaining part of sleeping away from home is waking up. There's always that moment of disorientation where you are confused and wondering where you are, because before your eyes open, you have no reason to think that you'll be anywhere but in your own room, in your own house. The slow-moving realization of being somewhere else is like arriving where you are all over again; like every time you wake up, you'd only just arrived in that very moment and up until then, you'd been snoozing in your own familiar bed. And then within a few days, the sensation just fades.

This is a short, three-night stay, so I'll be home again and everything will be just how my mind strains to imagine it before I open my eyes. Not to mention I will be home with my Love and my wee Sonja.  Until then, more fun tomorrow with great friends and lovely Babes.

Blast from the past: Peter and Sonja snoozing when she was four-months old.


No comments:

Post a Comment