Thursday, December 9, 2010

Each one.


Some beloved friends welcomed their baby boy at 2.21 this morning and I'm just busting with happiness for them.  The mushy Mama in me gets all emotional when babies are born, particularly when they are the "first" baby.  Not that all babies aren't incredible - they are - but there is something so wonderful and miraculous (and stressful, and overwhelming - let's be honest here) about that first child.  And in the case of this new baby boy, his parents had a huge scare about his health early on that turned out to be nothing at all, so his birth is that much more special.  



As much as I am thinking about that sweet, new little Babe, I am also thinking about his parents and all the emotions and fatigue and elation they are feeling.  What an amazing time in their lives!  First photos, first bath, first car ride, first night at home, first walk with the dogs... first everything.  All the things I remember, all the things I can't wait for them to experience.  There is nothing like a new baby to make you feel like the most fortunate person on the planet.


When Sonja was born I finally, really understood how much my Mom loved me.  I understood that no matter where I am, what I do, who I become, my Mom will love me and will wish she could be with me always.  I understood that watching me grow brought her the utmost joy and and made her realize that life's hardships were worth it.  I understood only my Mom would have stayed up with me all night, cleaned me, kissed my booboos and held me while I cried.  I understood at last.



When Haven was born, Sonja called her "Brand-New Baby" for at least a couple weeks.  We didn't name Haven until she was five days old, so Peter started calling her "BNB" for a couple days.  Every once in a while, Sonja will still call Haven "Brand-New Baby", and lately she does it and gently touches Haven's face, as if remembering when they first met.  She sometimes touches my face like that and tells me that she loves me.  It's all I can do to tell her I love her too; there are no words.


I'm so excited for Sonja and Haven to meet the new baby.  Haven will likely get extremely excited and want to grab his face, just like every other baby she meets.  I think she figures that if she can grab Mama's face, she can grab everyone's face.  I've been trying to teach her that she isn't necessarily allowed to grab my face, but she seems unconvinced.  Sonja will likely want to hold the baby, just like she got to hold Haven when she was born.  She will have to get in line after me.  I plan on holding him and kissing him and telling him he won the lottery being born to his fantastic parents.  


They're wondrous, our little Babes.  Each one different, each one beautiful, each one the most important people in our lives.  Everyone likes to go on about how children change your life for the better and how you can't imagine your life without them, blah, blah, blah.  Well, cliches are only cliches because they are true.  


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!!! I can't wait for you to meet the little addition...

    ReplyDelete