Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dance to the music.

The effect of music on babies isn't surprising, but it's still amazing to behold.  I know I'm not the only Mom who has "dance parties" with their babies.  When Sonja was a wee Babe, she calmed down to reggae, particularly Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals, and Katchafire.  But the one song that she loved above all others wasn't reggae, it was KT Tunstall's "Stoppin the Love".  I can't tell you how many times I played that song and sang and swayed all over our house when Sonja was around three or four months old.

Haven likes anything upbeat.  I've previously mentioned her taste for Paul Simon and Nikka Costa, but she really just likes anything you can dance to.  Once a slow song comes on, she fidgets and cries.  This morning, we danced to Fleetwood Mac's "Secondhand News", one of my all-time faves.  Haven is all about action: she loves to make sounds of her own and is always banging her toys together and shaking her little maracas.

Sonja adores singing.  She is the loudest and most enthusiastic singer during Circle Time at Strong Start, much to my delight (and the delight of her teacher).  She also loves to sing along to the theme songs of her DVDs, most notably the theme for "Franklin", which happens to be sung by Bruce Cockburn.  I like being able to say that my daughter knows all the words to a Bruce Cockburn song at the age of two.  I look forward to hearing Sonja and Haven sing along together.

I'm so glad my kids appreciate music and I fully anticipate they will want their own iPods (if they're still called iPods) when they are older.  I will be one of those Moms unplugging the earbuds out of my kids' ears in order to get their attention and ask my question, or repeat my statement for the umpteenth time.  So be it.





No comments:

Post a Comment