Monday, December 27, 2010

One giant noggin.


I took Haven for a check-up a couple weeks ago and it was both predictable and hilarious.  It was predictable because I knew everything was fine: Haven is growing, eating, teething, exploring, everything an eight-month-old child is supposed to be doing.


It was hilarious because of the doctor's reaction when he was comparing his measurements of Haven's weight, height and head circumference against the percentile growth charts.  I wasn't surprised to hear that Haven's height and weight are in the 20th to 25th percentile and I don't think the doctor was either; she's not a huge baby.  But when he consulted the chart regarding her head circumference, he paused.  He looked back at the measurement he had written down.  He paused again.  He looked at Haven and back at the chart.  I actually laughed a little and asked what the matter was.  He told me that her head circumference was in the 85th percentile.  Then I laughed out loud.


In Peter's family the Erickson Head is legendary.  Peter's nephew Judah had the biggest head circumference ever seen in the small hospital where he was born and Peter's brother has been reminded of that fact time and again.  Peter himself was meant to be born at home, but had to be born in hospital due to his big ol' head.


Sonja has the Erickson Head and it seems that Haven does as well.  I don't think she looks disproportionate, but she does have one giant noggin.


The best part of Haven's gargantuan cranium is being able to call her "HEED", in reference to that fantastic scene in "So I Married an Axe Murderer".  


...she'll be cryin' herself to sleep tonight on her huge pilla.



4 comments:

  1. Literally laughing out loud. Lovely to see you (and your wee head) and the rest of the brood (and their enormous noggins) today - hoping to repeat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I too couldn't help but to laugh loudly as I read that! Big Heed or not, she's one beautiful gal that Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ben affleck has a HUGE head. he's hot, successful, and hot. So... this is AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still laughing! Don't worry about a big head, girls it just means that you are smarter than the average girl! LOL Grandma Bev

    ReplyDelete