Friday, November 26, 2010

Pride and love.




I forgot to ask my brother Philip to walk me down the aisle.  I meant to, I planned to, but I never got around to calling him up and asking him.  Can you say "self-absorbed"?  


We were days, mere hours away from the big day, Phil and his family had made the long drive from Medicine Hat, Alberta to Victoria and I still had not asked him to walk me down the aisle.  I think in my head it was a done deal; there was no one else whom I would ever ask to do it.  But the question had not left my lips, and Phil (and his wife Liz) had to approach me and bring it up.  How silly!  I was mortified, but of course so pleased that it had been on his mind and that he was hoping I would ask.  One of the few moments of my life where I truly wish I had a do-over.




He was amazing.  He put my hand on his arm, covered my hand with his, and didn't let go the entire time we walked.  I could feel his pride and how much he loves me and I was so touched by the moment we shared.  My big brother.  




This is one of my favourite wedding photos: Phil leaning in to give me a kiss.  If you look in the background, you can see my sister-in-law, Liz and my nephew Keith.  Liz is so sweet, the look on her face says it all.  She knew how much it meant to Phil to walk me down the aisle.


Phil and I are three years apart in age and when we were really young, we usually had to share a bedroom.  He was always a good big brother, but we definitely fought and he definitely took pleasure in tormenting me as we grew up.  I know that I annoyed him as much as he annoyed me and sometimes I wondered if we would ever be friends.  


When Phil was nineteen, Liz gave birth to Keith and I don't think anyone in our family thought that their relationship would last.  I've never been so happy to be wrong, because not only did they stay together, they had my sweet niece Emily eight years after Keith was born.  And a few years ago, they (finally) tied the knot.  I know as well as anyone that relationships are never perfect and they always take work, but I so admire Phil and Liz.  They are one of those "great" couples.


 
  Holding my nephew Keith when he was just a babe.  I was seventeen.

Hard to believe he's nineteen now.  In a blink of an eye,
I will be saying that about my own kids...


I love to make Phil laugh and I do it as much as I possibly can.  He has a great giggle and a wicked sense of humour.  The easiest way I know to make him laugh is to make fun of and laugh at myself; always a hit and easy to do.  Phil is one of the most loyal, genuine and caring people I know.  He is also the biggest softie, and he possesses one of my favourite traits in a man: he is able and unashamed to cry.  My respect for him is more than I am adequately able to describe.  


Of course I wish that Phil and his family lived closer.  I want my kids to know them and I want to be able to see them at holidays and birthdays.  And saying "I love you" is always so much better when you can say it in person...


My beautiful niece Emily, who made an adorable flower girl.


Another fave.


When Sonja was born in February 2008, Phil surprised
me by coming out to visit.  What a guy.

4 comments: