Saturday, November 20, 2010

Like Mama used to make.

I recently talked about comfort foods in my post Breakfast for supper and it got me thinking about the foods my kids eat and what their future comfort foods may be.  I have no way of knowing, of course, but it's fun to think about and it's made me look back at Sonja's food preferences so far.  Haven is just starting out with solid food, but she also has preferences, both for flavour and texture.


Sonja loves pasta and if you ask her what she would like to eat, whether it's breakfast time or supper time, she will often answer "pastas", always plural.  Lately she has been asking for "tofus", again always plural, since she really likes a certain brand of tofu I use in stir-fries.  Sonja also adores pancakes, especially blueberry-lemon pancakes, although this morning I was out of blueberries and made apple-cinnamon pancakes and they were also a hit.  Often if I make pancakes for breakfast, she will also eat them for lunch.  Indeed, she will eat them until they are all gone.  This is not to say that Sonja doesn't enjoy the usual kid faves, like crackers and cookies and cakes and ice cream and other delectables, but when it comes to meal time, she certainly has her go-to choices.  Sonja also drinks a lot of fresh-pressed-style apple juice, which I always dilute with some water.  I have been waiting for months for her to tell me she wants a different drink, but the apple juice is still going strong.  Better than asking me for Pepsi or a Slurpee, I guess.


Haven is seven-and-a-half months old, and she already likes to feed herself whenever possible.  It's a messy business.  Bananas, Stoned Wheat Thins crackers, graham crackers, apple slices, various veggie sticks (carrot, cucumber, celery, etc) have all been popular.  Haven got excitedly wide-eyed over squash and yams.  And as a surprise to me, she absolutely loves chewing on broccoli, but I think it's easy to hold and the texture is good for gumming (she still doesn't have any teeth).  Haven also likes my homemade muffins and of course, pancakes.  


It seems that pancakes are a family favourite going back multiple generations.  If I had to put my money on one thing becoming a comfort food for both my girls, my money would be firmly on pancakes.  I anticipate making stack after stack of steaming, fruit-packed pancakes far into my future.  More than happy to oblige, since their memory of eating the pancakes will forever be tied to their Mama.


One of Sonja's first times in her high chair.

Eating a green bean.

Chocolate cupcake, first birthday.

Breakfast.

More pancakes!

Carrot cake, second birthday.

Best tacos in town.

Crackers, Strong Start snack time.

Yams!

Trying to figure out the complexities of The Spoon.

Success!

Puffed-rice cereal, otherwise known as Floor Treats for the Dog.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I was thinking about this just last week. Food creates such strong memories and they can be such comforting and happy memories of home.

    I have always had a vivid memory of coming home for lunch on winter school days in Toronto and having warm potato scones that my Mom had just taken out of the oven. I hadn't had them since I was a kid but last week I had some leftover roasted garlic mashed potatos and I got the scone recipe from my mom. She was wondering if I would be disappointed because things aren't always as good as you remember them...but they were absolutely delicious and I couldn't stop eating them.

    Seeing as I'm at home full-time with Elsa I make everything from scratch and Elsa likes to help me bake. When I was salivating over my warm potato scones I was wondering what Elsa's favourites will be. She knows one thing...I'm going to dump a bit of ground flax in just about anything I bake! We'll see but I'm sure that in the future she will appreciate all of the home cooked food just like I appreciate my mom's.

    ReplyDelete