Saturday, December 3, 2011

Mom's night out.

When I dropped Sonja and Haven off with Peter's parents yesterday, I honestly wasn't prepared for how hard it was going to be to leave them there and drive away. Haven sensed something was up when I put her down for her nap before I left; I can't remember the last time she clung to me so tightly as I put her into bed.

But once I left, things felt even more strange; I returned home and it was silent. No kids, no dog, just me. Eerie! I showered, dressed, gathered up my things, called a cab and arrived at Harbour Air on time for my flight. Yes, I took the float plane from Victoria harbour to Vancouver harbour like a rock star, thanks to my wonderful husband. Thirty-five minutes instead of almost two hours on the ferry? Yes, please!

A short plane trip, shuttle bus, seabus, taxi and I was sitting in the hotel with Peter drinking a gin and tonic (the first of the evening). We then got ready and met some great friends for food and drinks before heading to the party.

I need to pause here to say that I'm such a mom. I thought about the girls the entire time I was traveling and I even called Peter's mom while I was in the cab to the hotel; I just needed to hear their voices and know everything was alright. To be clear, I knew they were okay; I never doubted for a minute that things would be just fine. But after almost four years of close-contact motherhood, it's wrenchingly hard to step away.

It was a super-fun night. I got to catch up with several people I haven't seen in a really long time. Many people I worked with in Vancouver at a company called Sugoi now work at Arc'teryx, the company where Peter is a sales manager. It was pretty funny that for some of them, the last time we saw each other I was single and childless and now I am married with two children. But honestly, it was just refreshing to spend so much time not talking about my kids.

The nightclub was great; lots of photos and so many awesome people. I danced a bit and I drank more than I planned to, but kept things in control; very unlike me. And although I definitely didn't feel great today, I was upright and functioning.

And then I remembered one of the many reasons I wanted to take it easy on the alcohol: I can't sleep when I'm drunk. I pass out just fine, but within a couple hours I'm awake and can't get back to sleep. Of course when I woke up, I automatically started thinking about Sonja and Haven. I ached to see them. And so went the night; instead of getting a blissful, uninterrupted sleep and even sleeping in, I tossed and turned and had cramps in my calves and feet from the dehydration. The phrase "too old for this" occurred to me before I finally drifted off again.

Getting back to the island and my girls was a visceral and magnetic pull. As much as I loved getting away and having quality time with Peter, I experienced a physical reaction to not seeing them; a withdrawal. Even so, I look forward to getting time away again because I know it's so good for all of us. Nothing like a bit of breathing room.

French fries at dinner.


Gina; we both worked for Sugoi years ago and now she works for Arc'teryx.

Murph and Warren. Murph is a sales rep for Sugoi.
Warren is Gina's husband and a very snappy dresser.





More gin and tonic, anyone?

My handsome man.


Time for the party!

"Put that camera away!" Yeah, right.



At the party. Turns out that Warren's contracting company built the nightclub.


Brice and Murph. I also know Brice from Sugoi; he's married to my friend Catherine. 

Jen and Renata. Jen is a rep for Sugoi and Renata works with Peter.


Catherine and Warren. Catherine and I met at Sugoi and she now
works for Arc'teryx (and is married to Brice). 


Check out this bathroom!

Figured I needed a shot of my dress.


And then my friend Julie joined in.

Shoe circle.

The light fixtures were really cool.





No comments:

Post a Comment