Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The greatest.


It's hard not to love a calm and quiet moment when I'm accustomed to the sounds of running, screaming and toys clattering on the hardwood. 


Well, I love it once I search out the little munchkins and figure out if their silence is a good thing or not; I've walked in on them several times when they've been up to (and this is sometimes putting it mildly) mischief.


And of all the quiet scenes to happen upon, my child sitting quietly with a book is by far the greatest.


I remember sitting with a book for what seemed like hours, carefully examining the artwork, weaving my own tale beyond the actual story and imagining if the drawings came to life off the page. There have been a few times when I've come across a book in a store that I immediately recognize from over thirty years ago, even though I haven't seen it since then and would never have remembered it otherwise. It's such a forceful memory; like when you are jolted back through time with a scent from your buried past.


I hope and even expect this will be true with my children. I truly want them to experience that joy of rediscovering an old friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment