Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Own little world.

Sonja lives in a fantasy land. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. If you hang out with her and watch her, you'll see and hear her telling herself a story. It's like a running commentary of the tale unfolding in her imagination. 


When we walk the dog in the park, Sonja is always up ahead, running around in her own little world. And I'm usually too busy corralling Jett and Haven to pay too much attention, other than asking her over and over to slow down and stay where I can see her.




We met up with our friend Paul this afternoon for a walk; he brought his son Dillan and their two dogs. While we were walking, Paul asked if I knew anything about Sonja's fantasy-land tales. I realized I had no idea, so when we got home, I asked her what today's story had been about. She answered, "The Fairy Princess and the Lions," like it was the title of a book on our bookshelf. 


Apparently "the lions" (the dogs) had escaped from their cages and The Fairy Princess (Sonja) had to catch them, thus saving all of Fairy Princess Land. Thank goodness she succeeded.



And although this is possibly the best thing I've ever heard Sonja say, my favourite part of the whole thing was how happy she was that I asked. Her eyes lit up like high beams and she smiled her proudest smile. 


Remind me to ask again because that was amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment