Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dance on.




Sonja gets nervous if she feels on the spot; don't we all. So I casually suggested ballet classes a few months ago. She said no.



I bought her an adorable ballet outfit for Christmas and even got her a beautiful ballet tote bag to cary her things to class. She still wasn't convinced, even though she adored the outfit and the bag. Who wouldn't?!



Then a couple weeks ago I told Sonja that if she wanted to, she could go to a class with other girls her age, who would all be dressed like ballerinas. There would be a teacher who would teach her all kinds of fun ballet steps and - only if she wanted to - I could call and see if there were still some spots left. 


She asked me a few questions about what the other girls would be like (I'm not sure, but they'll be excited and nervous, just like you) and whether she could wear her new ballerina outfit (absolutely!) and then said OK. I called and there was one spot left; kismet.




Today was Sonja's very first ballet class. She had a blast and I let out a sigh of relief. I want her to find some things she likes to do and I'm ready to help her try as many things as she would like to try. 


I'm not going to lie: I really would love her to be athletic in some way; dance, team sports, running, swimming, whatever. But I won't push her if she's adamant she doesn't like something or doesn't want to continue. She's her own person. She decides. 


Dance on, little one.





No comments:

Post a Comment