Thursday, April 7, 2011

Leave her in the park.



"I want Haven to go far away."


"Where would you like her to go?"


"To another house."


"Well, we don't have another house.... Is there somewhere else we should take her?"



"I don't know. I just don't want Haven anymore."


"Should we leave her in the park?"


(Nods.)


"Do you think she'd be sad if we left her in the park?"


(Shakes head.)


"You don't think she'd be sad? Well, do you think she might be cold and scared at night when it gets dark out?"


"Nope."


"Hmm. I see. Do you think you'd be scared and cold if you were left in the park at night?"


(Thinks.) "I don't know."


"Would you like to be left in the park?"


(Thinks.) "No..."


"So do you think Haven would like to be left in the park?"


"No..."


"OK then-"


"But I just want her to go away!"


"I know, Baby. I know you do. And I'm so glad you were able to tell me that. Those are really important feelings and I want you to always tell me how you feel. Always. But you do know that Haven is part of our family, right?"


"No. She's not part of the family."


"Yep. Yes she is. She is your little sister and she will always be your little sister. I know she scratches you and head butts you and causes trouble, but she loves you and you love her. Right?"



(Thinks.) "But Haven scratched me!"

"I know, Baby. I know she did and I'm sorry. But we need to teach her to not hit and push and pull hair and scratch and bite, yeah? If we don't teach her, she'll keep doing it. And if you scratch her back, she'll only learn to scratch more. Do you think that's a good idea?"

(Thinks.) "No..."





"Haven's still a baby, so it's going to take her some time to learn all the big-kid things that you know. She needs you to help her. Mommy and Daddy will help too. Will you help?"

(Thinks.) "OK..." (Doesn't sound too convinced.)

"Thank you Baby. Just remember that Haven loves you and Mommy and Daddy love you very, very much."

"Yeah..."




"And thank you for telling me how you feel. Remember, you can always, always tell us how you feel. About anything. OK?"

"OK. I love you Mama."

"Thanks, Baby. I love you too. So much."





2 comments:

  1. Lol.. we have the same conversation at our house!!! Course... it is a little different with the older sibling being a teen boy and all.. but same thing, really. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Awesome! I love the way kids think.

    ReplyDelete