Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mud holes and tears.


The plan was to drive up to Peter's parents' yesterday morning and help out in their garden. It's something I've needed to do for a long while, since they always give us so much beautiful produce throughout the summer and fall months. Peter often goes up to help out, but with the kids being so little, I've found it hard to contribute. So I made a commitment to go up at least once a week (weather permitting) in the morning before it gets too hot out and before Haven's nap.






I just assumed that the girls would play around in the dirt and grass and have a great time getting dirty, but unfortunately I was only half correct. Sonja had a blast making a huge, goopy mud hole and helping Joyanna plant a couple rows of bean plants, but Haven disintegrated into a crying, snotty mess every time I attempted to put her down. Strange, considering she normally jumps at any opportunity to pull grass and throw it in the air, or taste dirt clods when I'm not looking.









I always end up feeling somewhat out of sorts when a plan doesn't come together. In this case, I felt a bit useless just standing around, but as Joyanna pointed out, it was Haven's first real time in the garden and it will likely take a few times before she feels comfortable. I'm fairly sure that once that happens, I will spend a lot of time trying to keep her out of trouble, but at least I might be able to get some work done.






So instead of working, we (and by 'we', I guess I mean the girls) ended up playing; sandbox, swing set, trampoline. Strangely enough, Haven wasn't too enthralled with any of it, but Sonja had a fabulous time. I'm not sure if Haven's teething, of fighting something, or whether she was just a grumpy girl yesterday, but it was a bit odd to see her crying in the sandbox, a place she normally fights to get into and cries big fat tears when we have to leave.






I hope that the weather is just as gorgeous next week when we try this again. I also hope that Haven is in a better mood and is her usual dirt-loving self. In the meantime, I'm happy that even though I didn't get to help out as planned, I did get some pretty fun photos. Well worth the trip. 



No comments:

Post a Comment